So for pencil liner I own several even though I don't use them much. From top to bottom here is the list:
L'Oreal Pencil Perfect in Ebony
Revlon Colorstay
MUFE Aqua Eyes
Smashbox Limitless Eye Liner
Milani Liquif'eye
I can easily say the best one I have tried so far in regards to staying power and pigmentation is the Milani. I don't every reach for the L'Oreal, Smashbox or Revlon however the Revlon is good because it comes with a small sharpener and decent better pigmentation than the L'Oreal for a drugstore comparison. MUFA Aqua Eyes does smudge on me and I feel like the pigmentation could be better so on the rare occasion that I'm in a rush and can't find the Milani in my makeup drawer I will reach for the MUFE. I don't think the MUFE is a good buy especially for the price. Go for the Milani if your looking for an affordable pigmented liner. Again I only really wear pencil on the waterline. If you are looking for a good black liner for your upper lash line that is not drugstore then I think MAC does really have some good ones. I never bought any just because I know I'm not going to use it so why spend the extra $ but I know several people that use MAC pencil liners and it looks good on them.
I only own one gel liner which is MAC Fluidline in Blacktrack. I have tried several others such as the L'Oreal Hip and the Maybelline one but those just didn't work. Too gunky and got in my contacts. I do like this liner. It goes on smooth and with primer it really doesn't budge for most of the day. However the only downfall is it does take time to put on. I just don't really have the time for this on a day to day basis. However I do like this on my lower lash line when I go for a really smoky look cause this can blend out quite nice. I think this costs around $14-17? For the price I do think its worth it if you only like gel. It will last you a long time so long as you seal the cap on tightly. Also if you are going to buy any gel liner from either drugstore or department I suggest you buy only ones that are in glass containers. This is simply for the fact that potted liners can dry out easily and I feel like glass pots with plastic tops seal better and plastic pots with plastic tops.
Let me start off by talking about the L'Oreal, this liner is great if you have a steady hand and do not need waterproof. The only reason I think it could be better if is they came out with a waterproof version because towards the end of the day after maybe 12 hours of wear it can flake a little bit. This Carbon Black version is very pigmented, and dries down to a shiny black finish, almost patent leather looking. For the $7-9 dollars this cost at the drugstore this will always be my go to. The good thing for me with this not being waterproof is that because I have a heavy fold, sometimes if I'm not careful and patient while waiting for this to dry and blink or something it will transfer up onto my lid and it is quite easy to remove since its not waterproof. But regardless I would still love it if they came out with a waterproof version or just fixed the formula so it doesn't flake as much? Don't get me wrong its not like big chunks will flake off its more like the wing part and I think its partially cause I end up touching it a bit..and keep in mind I do wear this from 7:30AM to 7:30PM so for the price and the pigmentation and how long it lasts its pretty good.
Below are swatches of all the liners mentioned in this post.
From left to right:
MUFE Aqua Eyes
Revlon Colorstay
L'Oreal Pencil
Smashbox Limitless
Milani Liquif'eye
MAC Fluidline
MAC Liquidlast
L'Oreal Lineur Intense
As you can see all the pencil liners I have are definitely not as pigmented as the liquid or gel liners.
This picture is just after rubbing my finger through once. As you can see the L'Oreal Lineur Intense comes off very easily because it does try to this patent leathery feel, so if you rub your eyes a lot I would recommend that to you. Of all the pencils the L'Oreal pencil does come off the easiest as well.
This final picture is with Neutrogena eye make up remover on a cotton pad and just wiping through on time. As you can see almost everything comes off which is should since that's what eye make up remover is supposed to do, but look at the MAC Liquidlast, it shows the most resistance, which is good and bad because yes I do want me liner to stay all day and not budge but when I come home, I don't want to spend 5 minutes just to remove my liner.
Hope this was helpful and apologies for taking so long.
Thanks for reading, please subscribe.
-amy
Im just like you, I always wear liquid eyeliner without fail unless I'm having a lazy day at home. Such a shame that the milani pencil is pretty hard to find here in the UK but I found that the Urban decay 24/7 pencil did the same trick.
ReplyDeletenow following :)
withlovex0-ploy.blogspot.com
Xx
I have read your previous post and this one as well. I agree with you that eyeliners are must-haves. I like pencil liners in black or brown though as they give a more natural look. Instead of cats'-eyes I usually do tightlines. It opens my eyes more. When I don't have my liners, I put more coats of mascara, carefully putting them near the roots and they have the same effect.
ReplyDeleteI keep a waterproof liquid eyeliner though for summer. It's from a good makeup line in the Philippines but under its drugstore stuff. It costs for about Php 180 which is roughly $4 and it has a great brush tip.